Forget the canned stuff! There is nothing that compares to the sweet and tangy flavor of a freshly cut pineapple. This simple and easy to make Fresh Pineapple Sundae is like a tropical pie à la mode. The unexpected juiciness of the broiled pineapple coupled with warmth of the fruit creates the perfect balance to the smooth flavors of the vanilla ice cream. Each bite will have you begging for more!
Don’t let picking a pineapple intimidate you! This must be made using fresh pineapple to get the full flavor experience. Here are some helpful hints for buying and preparing:
HOW TO PICK A PINEAPPLE:
– A ripe pineapple has a hint of yellow and smells fruity.
– Stay away from pineapples that are brown or discolored.
-The fruit should feel soft, but not spongy.
– Check to make sure there is no mold on the bottom.
-Once the fruit passing the visual inspection, pull on the center leaf in the crown. If the leaf pulls out easily, the fruit is ripe!
HOW TO CUT A PINEAPPLE:
– Start with a sharp knife and a cutting board.
– Chop off the leafy crown and the bottom inch of the fruit.
– Stand on one end and slice off the skin in a downward motion.
– For any little “eyes”, the brown prickly holes that may remain, use a small paring knife to cut out and discard.
To make rings, turn fruit on it’s side and slice into 7 even sections. Use an apple corer or a small knife to cut around the hard core located in the center. Transfer slices to a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil.
Preheat your broiler and place your oven rack on the top shelf (about 4-6″ from the flame). Slide the baking sheet into the oven and broil for 7 mins on each side.
One last note: Do NOT use parchment paper in the broiler. I learned the hard way that it will go up in flames if you are not careful!