There are lots of different ways to hard boil an egg. This a quick and easy way to keep the shells from cracking while cooking.
Total time: 15-20 mins (depending on egg size)
- Carefully place eggs in a single layer on the bottom of a saucepan.
- Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1″.
- Heat over high heat (uncovered) until water starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Let stand in hot water for 12 mins for large eggs (15 mins for extra large eggs)
- Drain immediately and run under cold water until cool.
- If you need to speed up cooling, place in a bowl of ice water.
- Once cool, refrigerate.
Sometimes you will notice a green ring around the yolk of the egg. While completely harmless, if you are using the yolks as part of recipe you want to keep the color as fresh and yellow as possible. Cooking with hot, not boiling water, and immediately cooling as suggested helps to minimize the green ring.
If you plan on peeling the eggs, it is best to do immediately after cooling. The eggs constrict as they cool and it will make it easier to break and remove the shells. However, it is important to note that once eggs are peeled you should eat within 24 hours. Hard boiled eggs in the shell will keep for up to one week after cooking.